A selection of the 427 quotations from Chairman Mao – The little Red Book published in 1964.
>> Chapter 21: Self-reliance and arduous struggle
- In times of difficulty we must not lose sight of our achievements, must see the bright future and must pluck up our courage.
– “Serve the People” (September 8, 1944), Selected Works, Vol. III, pp. 227-28.
- We must thoroughly clear away all ideas among our cadres of winning easy victories through good luck, without hard and bitter struggle, without sweat and blood.
– “Build Stable Base Areas in the Northeast” (December 28, 1945), Selected Works, Vol. IV, p. 84.
- What is work? Work is struggle. There are difficulties and problems in those places for us to overcome and solve. We go there to work and struggle to overcome these difficulties. A good comrade is one who is more eager to go where the difficulties are greater.
– “On the Chungking Negotiations” (October 17, 1945), Selected Works, Vol. IV, p. 58.